I have seen so many of these super cute wreaths pop up on Pinterest. I had also seen the idea to use a piece of pipe insulator foam to form a wreath base. So, here was my endeavor to make one of my own! I think it turned out pretty cute, but in no way perfect… there are several things I would do differently next time.
I bought this 4 pack of pipe covers which cost 2.97, the lima beans cost 2.88 – I had black duct tape and a glue gun already, as well as a left over can of spray paint. I only used one pipe and half the Bag of lima beans. My husband and I put the kids to bed at night and usually sit to relax for a couple hours with a movie or show. Many nights, you will find him sitting on the couch while I sit on the floor working away on my projects! This project was completed within the time frame of one, hour long episode of Alcatraz :)
I wrapped tape around the two ends to secure them together. Works pretty well! The only thing is… it was hard for me to get it to stay in a perfect circle, it is slightly deformed for my taste! All I did was glue the beans on in random order. The part I would be more careful of in the future, was strings of glue being left behind. Only if I will be painting it again, the spray paint clings to the glue strings and looks a little messy. I have seen these wreathes left unpainted, just the natural color which looks cute too!
Hang with a bow and we’re done! I will be VERY interested to see how well this holds up, if the beans fall off or crumble, or if the birds eat it! I am thinking the spray paint will hinder them. I am just very happy to have something new up, since before this, I still had a Christmas wreath up!
*Update: This wreath survived all Summer long and into the Fall! It did start to dry out and crumble just a bit, but I kept gluing it back together to prolong it’s life :) Maybe next time I’ll use a little more glue and a little more spray paint plus some kind of clear sealer. The pipe insulator does not hold it’s shape very well. I would use an actual foam wreath form or add a piece of wire inside the pipe for stability.
Leave a Reply