I am a self proclaimed granola snob. I’ve tried many a recipe over the years before finally perfecting this one. It is THE BEST! Make a batch for Christmas morning or package it and give it as a gift. The best part is, your house will smell heavenly for days afterwards!
Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
NOT Quick Oats
- 1 1/2
- 1 1/2
flax seed or meal if desired
Almonds, Dried Cranberries, Or whatever else you like!
- *Dairy and gluten free option: Use oil or shortening instead of butter
omit flour and use flax seed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, flax and flour in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and add maple syrup (or melt together in microwave).
- Mix well, and pour over dry mixture. Mix to coat thoroughly, making sure oats are moist enough to stick together and start forming clumps. Spread out on a greased cookie sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until done (make sure not to over-bake depending on the temperature of your oven – granola will appear slightly moist after 20 minutes but will harden as it cools).
- Allow to cool completely, break into pieces, add raisins as desired and store in an airtight container.
- *Note: clusters form better if you don’t stir at all while baking or while it’s cooling.