This is a list of the best thrill rides at Walt Disney World according to Taylor, my 14-year-old son!
Top 10 Thrill Rides at Disney World
Here are the top 10 thrill rides at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. These are located across all four main theme parks; the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, and Hollywood Studios.
How I Rank These Rides
This list is not necessarily ranked in order of my favorite rides, but rather by the level of intensity! I’m including all rides that I would consider thrilling, not specifically rollercoasters. This list does not consider the theme, immersive factor or design. If you are looking specifically for a thrilling ride, these are the rides for you:
- Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (Hollywood Studios) – Really fast launch going 57 mph in 2.8 seconds, small drops, dark, cool street lights, three inversions, two rollover loops, and one corkscrew.
- The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (Hollywood Studios) – Really dark, lightning, scary sounds, a lot of small drops, and one big drop of 130 feet, drops at the speed of 39 mph but feels faster.
- Expedition Everest (Animal Kingdom) – Seriously dark, speeds of 50 mph, scary yeti sounds, goes backward, 80-foot drop.
- Space Mountain (Magic Kingdom) – Really dark, feels fast but only going at a speed of 27 mph, small drops, loud noises, feels like you are going to hit something but you won’t.
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (Magic Kingdom) – Speeds of 36 mph but feels faster, sharp turns, small drops, can be dark.
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind (EPCOT) – Dark, smooth, fun music, fast launch going backward at a speed of approximately 35 mph, small drops.
- Slinky Dog Dash (Hollywood Studios) – Fast launch at a speed of 40 mph, small drops that slow down, sharp turns, the big drop is 50 feet.
- Splash Mountain (Magic Kingdom) – Can be really dark, with small drops, at a speed of 39 mph, the big drop is 49 feet, and you can get wet.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (Magic Kingdom) – Small drops, the big drop is 39 feet, it goes 34 mph.
- Test track (EPCOT) – Sharp turns, dark, fast launch going 64.9 mph, blinking lights
These are rides that didn’t make my top 10 list for most thrilling, but they’re still great rides that you can find at Walt Disney World!
- Tron Lightcycle Power Run – Coming soon to the Magic Kingdom
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance – Hollywood Studios
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run – Hollywood Studios
- Avatar: Flight of Passage – Animal Kingdom
- Dinosaur – Animal Kingdom
- Mission: Space – EPCOT
- Star Tours – Hollywood Studios
Best Thrill Rides Based on Design and Theme
Ranking Disney thrill rides based on the theme is a whole category in itself. How immersive is the ride? Did I feel like I was in the middle of the story? Here are the top rides based purely on the level of design and immersion.
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Slinky Dog Dash
My All-Time Favorite Thrill Rides
This is a list of my favorite thrill rides at Walt Disney World based on a combination of thrill, theme, design, and just overall fun factor!
- Rock ‘n Roller Coaster
- Space Mountain
- Tower of Terror
- Splash Mountain
What is the fastest ride at Disney World?
The fastest ride at Walt Disney World is Test Track which reaches almost 65 mph.
What ride has the tallest drop at Disney World?
The ride with the tallest drop at Disney World is Expedition Everest with a hill that is 80′ tall. The ride itself is the tallest at Walt Disney World, at 199.5′ high.
What rides go upside down at Walt Disney World?
The only ride with inversions at Walt Disney World is Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith.
What is the longest thrill ride at Walt Disney Ride?
The longest thrill ride is Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance at 18 minutes long. Splash Mountain comes in second at 11 minutes. The longest rollercoaster at Walt Disney World is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at 3 minutes and 30 seconds. The second-longest roller coaster at Disney World is Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind which is 3 minutes and 20 seconds long.
What rides would you add to this list? Do you agree with my picks?