We’re under a Winter snow advisory here in Michigan, so I pulled this recipe out of the archives and we’re staying cozy inside with a Christmas movie, soup and sugar cookie baking!
This has got to be one of the easiest soups to make, but it’s always been a favorite. Think of it as a simplified version of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana.
Serve it with warm bread and maybe a salad if you’re feeling ambitious. I’ve transferred this to a slow cooker when I want to make it ahead and keep it warm. What I like about this soup, is I usually have all these ingredients. I keep the sausage and kale in the freezer and I always have a bag of onions and potatoes on hand.
- 1 Pound rolled sausage
- 1 Onion I prefer red onion
- 4 to 5 Large potatoes cut into cubes I don't even peel them!
- Fresh or frozen kale I've also used frozen spinach
- 2 Tbl garlic powder
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup heavy cream I skip this when going dairy free
- Salt and pepper to taste I use a lot of pepper
Cook sausage and drain (or hey, don't drain and it's even better!)
- Add water and potatoes
Stir in garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste (I like a lot of pepper)
- Cook until potatoes are tender
- Add heavy cream if desired or leave it out and add more water to keep it dairy free!
- Add kale or spinach and cook until warm